Essential Caregiver Visitation Policy
ESSENTIAL CAREGIVER VISITATION POLICY
Policy: As required by Florida Statute 429.28 (1)(d) Residents Bill of Rights, Encore at Avalon Park visitation policy allows a Resident to have visitors from 9am to 9pm, seven days a week at a minimum. At times there may be circumstances which restrict resident visitations, such as pandemic flu or presence of infectious diseases which may require isolation. In such cases, Encore at Avalon Park shall comply with all requirements outlined by the Agency for Healthcare Administration, Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Florida Department of Health, and Florida Emergency Management in effect, if any.
Florida Statue 408.823 requires an additional policy which outlines resident visitation during these circumstances. The Encore at Avalon Park Essential Caregiver visitation policies and procedures required by these following circumstances, unless the resident objects:
- End of life situations
- The resident, who was living with family before being admitted to the provider’s care is struggling with the change in environment and lack of in person family support.
- The resident is making one or more major medical decisions.
- The resident is experiencing emotional distress or grieving the loss of a friend or family member who recently died.
- The resident needs cueing or encouragement to eat or drink which was previously provided by a family member or caregiver.
- The resident who used to talk and interact with others is seldom speaking.
Procedure: Encore at Avalon Park requires the following procedures to comply with the statue. Before in-person visitation, all essential caregivers must adhere to the following procedures:
- Sin in upon entering the facility and before interacting with any staff, residents, family members or friends.
- Comply with infection control and education policies for visitors. Infection Control policies may require a visitor to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) including properly wear a face mask and other necessary PPE and perform hand hygiene. Staff will provide directions on other proper use of PPE.
- Policy Consent: Sign this policy acknowledging an understanding of visitation Policies. Failure to adhere to the policy will result in suspension of in person visitation.
- Submit to a screening which may include temperature and or a questionnaire about health status.
- Visitation hours will be 9am to 9pm as per FS 429.28 (1)(d). Any visitation outside of these hours will be considered upon request to the Administrator. During these hours, in-person visitation by the essential caregiver is allowed for at least 2hours daily in addition to any other visitation authorized by the provider.
- While minimizing physical contact and social distancing may be encouraged to limit exposure, consensual physical contact between a resident and the visitor is not prohibited.
- A resident may designate a visitor who is a family member, friend, guardian, or other individual as an essential caregiver.
- This section does not require an essential caregiver to provide necessary care to resident and providers may not require an essential caregiver to provide such care.
- Encore at Avalon Park takes our commitment to the wellbeing of our residents seriously, and this includes a resident’s right to visitation with their family, friends and loved ones.
If you or your loved one have been met with resistance from a hospital, hospice, or long-term care facility when attempting to visit with loved ones, you may file a complaint with the Agency for healthcare Administration for further review and action.